- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 4-pound chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium roasting pan, toss the tomatoes with the onion, garlic, oregano and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Push the tomatoes and onions to the side of the pan to make room for the chicken.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken and vegetables for about 1 hour and 5 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted an inner chicken thigh registers 165°.
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat in the roasting pan. Using the back of a fork, mash the tomatoes and garlic until a chunky sauce forms. Stir in the parsley and season the gravy with salt and pepper. Carve the chicken and serve with the tomato gravy.
Serve WithCrusty bread.