- 2 bosc pears (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Pinch each of ground cloves, cinnamon and salt
- One 14-ounce package cold all-butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, toss the pears with 1/3 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon of the flour and the cranberries, cloves, cinnamon and salt.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 14 1/2-inch square about 1/8 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into 8 squares. Spoon the pear filling onto a corner of each square, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the pastry over the filling to make a triangle and firmly press the edges to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork. Prick each triangle once with the fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Transfer the turnovers to a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled.
- Brush the tops of the turnovers with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake the turnovers for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let the turnovers cool for at least 5 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.