- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cured Italian meats—including salami, prosciutto and capicola—cut into strips
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto, or 2 tablespoons basil pesto plus 2 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the rosemary and cured meats and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the rigatoni until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Return the rigatoni to the pot. Add the meat mixture, pesto and the reserved pasta water and cook over high heat, stirring, until the pasta is thoroughly coated, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in the 1/4 cup of cheese and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the rigatoni into bowls and serve, passing more grated cheese at the table.