- 3 1/2 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled (4 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Twenty-four 1/2-inch-thick slices of Italian bread
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain, then peel and discard the tough outer skins.
- In a food processor, puree the beans with the garlic, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest. With the machine on, add 3/4 cup of the olive oil in a thin stream and process until smooth. Scrape the fava bean puree into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and broil about 4 inches from the heat for 1 minute per side, or until golden and crisp.
- Spread the toasts with the fava bean puree and arrange the crostini on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and serve with lemon wedges.
The puree can be refrigerated for 2 days. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.