- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds slab bacon, cut into large chunks
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chiles
- 1 pound dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1/2 pound serrano ham, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the slab bacon and cook over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the onion, garlic and chiles to the casserole and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bacon, beans, serrano ham, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans are nearly tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the casserole and cook, uncovered, until the beans are tender and the broth is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard the chiles, thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Ladle the feijoada into shallow bowls and serve with rice.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.