© Christina Holmes
Farro with Spanish Chorizo, Feta and Dill
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Hugh Acheson puts farro to good use here by combining it with chorizo, then topping the dish with a surprise combination of feta and fresh dill.
Slideshow: Farro Recipes
- 2 cups farro (12 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces dry Spanish chorizo, very thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled ( 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- In a medium saucepan, cover the farro with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 25 minutes; drain well.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the drained farro and the chicken stock and cook, stirring, until most of the stock is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Stir in the butter and parsley and season lightly with salt. Transfer the farro to shallow bowls, scatter the feta and dill on top and serve.
A light-bodied white such as Albariño or Sauvignon Blanc.