Farro with Artichokes and Herb Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 5 to 6
For this main course, do as Jonathon Sawyer does and prepare farro much as you would risotto: Add stock slowly while the grains cook, so that they gradually become plump and delicious. Then mix in artichokes and top the dish with celery, parsley and tarragon salad and shavings of nutty Grana Padano cheese.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 small celery root, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs1 finely diced and 1 thinly sliced, plus 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups farro (14 ounces)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Grana Padano cheese, plus shaved cheese for garnish
- 4 ounces marinated baby artichokes, drained and halved (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the carrot, celery root, onion, diced celery and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the farro and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add half of the broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely absorbed, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely absorbed, about 12 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the grated cheese along with the artichokes and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until creamy. Spoon into bowls.
- In a medium bowl, toss the sliced celery and celery leaves with the parsley, chives and tarragon. Add the vinegar and oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Mound the salad over the farro, garnish with cheese shavings and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.