Farro Salad with Turnips and Greens
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 20
To get the most out of turnips, Tamar Adler buys them with their greens attached and then uses both parts in this hearty grain salad. If the turnip greens aren’t sufficient, or if they’re unavailable, she supplements them with any combination of other leafy greens.
- 2 pounds farro (4 1/2 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 pounds turnip greens, mustard greens or Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the farro in a roasting pan and toast for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant.
- In a large pot, combine the farro with the bay leaves and 12 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer the farro over moderately low heat until al dente, about 25 minutes; season the water generously with salt about 10 minutes before the farro is done. Let cool slightly. Drain the farro, discard the bay leaves and transfer the farro to a large serving bowl.
- In the same roasting pan, toss the turnips with 1/2 cup of the olive oil and the thyme. Set the pan over 2 burners and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the turnips are browned and nearly tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped greens, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing, until just wilted, about 5 minutes. Cover with foil and cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in the vinegar and parsley.
- Scrape the turnips and turnip greens into the farro. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.