- 1 1/4 pounds farro (about 3 cups)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, such as Walla Walla, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup snipped chives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the farro with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until barely tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well, then transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt until it becomes a puree. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar and then the olive oil. Season the dressing with pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, chives and parsley to the farro and toss. Add the dressing to the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss, then serve.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.