Farro Salad with Fennel and Arugula
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Art and Soul restaurant loves to toss whole grains, like farro, into his green salads to make them more substantial. In addition to farro, try this salad with wheat berries, spelt or barley. Most farro is slightly pearled (the white starch shines through the brown hull), so it cooks quickly. If it's not, it may take longer to cook.
More Salads with Grains
- 1 1/2 cups farro (10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons flax seed or sunflower seed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 fennel bulbhalved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 packed cups arugula leaves
- In a medium saucepan, cover the farro with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil with the garlic and lemon zest and juice. Add the cooled farro and toss well. Add the fennel and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, fold in the arugula.