- 1 pound pearled farro
- 1 1/2 cups peas, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 pound red pearl onions, root ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped oregano
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the farro with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderately low heat until the farro is al dente, about 25 minutes. Drain the farro and spread it out on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the peas until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peas to a sieve and cool under running water. Add the onions to the saucepan and blanch just until the skins start to wrinkle, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the onions and cool them under running water, then peel them.
- Preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the onions with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions over moderately high heat, tossing occasionally, until they are softened and charred in spots, about 8 minutes. Return the onions to the bowl and let them cool. Add the cooled farro, peas, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Fold in the feta, mint and oregano, season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.
The farro salad can be refrigerated overnight. Fold in the feta, mint and oregano just before serving.
Contributed By Jimmy Bannos Jr. Photo © Christina Holmes