Farro-and-Kale Salad with Olives and Pine Nuts
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chewy farro and raw kale make for a deliciously healthy salad when tossed with buttery olives.
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup Castelvetrano olives (5 1/2 ounces), pitted and halved, plus 2 tablespoons of the brine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the farro until al dente, about 25 minutes. Drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, tossing occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive brine with the lemon juice and olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the kale, toss well and let stand until barely wilted, 15 minutes. Mix in the farro, pine nuts, olives and red bell pepper. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.