- 6 ounces lean slab bacon, sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 1-inch sticks
- 2 slices firm white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mesclun (1/4 pound)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup minced chives
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderately low heat until lightly browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Spread the bread cubes and walnuts on 2 baking sheets and bake for about 8 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
In a large salad bowl, whisk the vinegar with the garlic and olive and walnut oils; season with salt and pepper. Add the mesclun, tomatoes and chives and toss to coat. Add the bacon, croutons and walnuts, toss well and serve.