- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound fresh chorizo, casings discarded and sausage broken up
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons capers—drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 brioche burger buns, split and toasted
- Bread-and-Butter Zucchini Pickles and butter lettuce, for serving
How to make this recipe
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, gently mix the ground pork with the chorizo, ricotta and capers. Form the meat into six 3/4-inch-thick patties and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Grill the burgers over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes; top the burgers with the cheddar during the last minute of grilling and let melt. Transfer the burgers to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes.
Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on the buns and set the burgers on the bottom halves. Top with the pickles and lettuce and close the burgers; serve right away.
The uncooked patties can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours.
Bold, fruit-forward red Rhône varieties, like Grenache and Syrah, are superb with these burgers. Pour one from California.