Farmbar Pork Burgers with Bread-and-Butter Zucchini Pickles
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
The secret to these juicy and superflavorful pork burgers is blending chorizo, capers and fresh ricotta into the ground meat.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound fresh chorizo, casings discarded and sausage broken up
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons capers—drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 brioche burger buns, split and toasted
- Bread-and-Butter Zucchini Pickles and butter lettuce, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, gently mix the ground pork with the chorizo, ricotta and capers. Form the meat into six 3/4-inch-thick patties and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes; top the burgers with the cheddar during the last minute of grilling and let melt. Transfer the burgers to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on the buns and set the burgers on the bottom halves. Top with the pickles and lettuce and close the burgers; serve right away.
Bold, fruit-forward red Rhône varieties, like Grenache and Syrah, are superb with these burgers. Pour one from California.