Farfalle with Salsa Verde and Grilled Ricotta Salata
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This creative, fresh-tasting dish is nothing like the ones that have given cold pasta a bad name. Gallante forgoes the standard mayonnaise-based dressing in favor of a tangy, vibrant salsa verde made with tomatillos, jalapeños, anchovy and herbs. He tosses the salsa with warm farfalle, then tops the pasta with grated slabs of salty, grilled ricotta salata cheese.
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 3/4 pound tomatilloshusked, rinsed and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- 1 anchovy fillet, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds farfalle pasta
- One 1/2-pound piece of ricotta salata
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery leaves
- Light a grill. In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the tomatillos for 1 minute. Drain and let cool. In a food processor, pulse the tomatillos with the garlic, jalapeños, anchovy, basil, parsley and chives until mixed. Slowly pour in 1 cup of the olive oil, pulsing until blended but still slightly chunky. Stir in the lime juice and season the salsa with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the farfalle until al dente.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the olive oil over the ricotta salata and grill over a hot fire until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the farfalle and return it to the pot. Stir in the salsa verde and the celery leaves. Grate half of the ricotta salata over the pasta and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Grate the remaining ricotta salata over the farfalle and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.