© Christina Holmes
Fall Vegetable Giardiniera
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: 2 quarts
This modern take on the pickled supermarket staple features sunchokes, cauliflower and shishito peppers.
Slideshow: Perfect Pickled Vegetable Recipes
- 4 ounces shishito peppers, pricked with a fork, or 2 Italian frying peppers, cut into thin strips
- 4 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 4 ounces sunchokes, scrubbed and thinly sliced, or broccoli stems, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- Place the shishitos, carrots, sunchokes and cauliflower in a large, tall glass or plastic container. In a large jar, combine the salt, coriander seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves with 6 cups of water. Pour the brine over the vegetables and top with a plate to keep the vegetables submerged. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the vegetables and discard the coriander seeds, bay leaves and peppercorns. Pack the vegetables into two 1-quart jars. Add 1 cup of the white vinegar, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the oregano and 1/2 cup of water to each jar and seal. Shake gently and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Make Ahead The giardiniera can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.