- 4 whole chicken legs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 1/2 pound linguiça or kielbasa
- 1/2 pound chorizo (about 4 links)
- 1/4 pound meaty slab bacon in 1 piece
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium new potatoes, quartered
- 1 small green cabbage (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- White rice, for serving
- In a large soup pot, combine the chicken, beef, pork, linguiça, chorizo, bacon, garlic and bay leaves; cover with the water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over low heat until all of the meats are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes for the chicken, sausages and bacon and 1 hour and 45 minutes for the beef and pork. As the various meats are done, transfer them to a large platter and cover loosely with foil.
- When all the meats have cooked, bring the liquid to a boil and add the turnips, carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, slice the beef and pork across the grain 1/2 inch thick and the sausages 1 inch thick. Cut the chicken legs into thighs and drumsticks. Arrange the meats on a large, deep platter and cover loosely with foil. Pat the bacon dry and finely dice it. In a small skillet, fry the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the platter; discard the bay leaves. Ladle some of the hot broth over the meat and vegetables and sprinkle with the bacon. Serve hot with rice.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat the meats in the broth before proceeding.
The hearty flavors of the various meats in this dish suggest a medium-bodied red with bright fruit and a touch of tannin. Look for a Portuguese Cabernet.