Fall Harvest Salad
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12 servings
This salad epitomizes fall flavors, with its chunks of butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, pecans and greens. The easiest way to peel the butternut squash is with a sturdy U-peeler (named for its wide, U-shaped handle), which is available at most supermarkets.
More Fall Salads
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably peanut
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash (10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens or mesclun
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the squash in an even layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn the squash cubes and cook over moderately low heat until browned on the other side and just tender, about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with the tarragon, parsley and the remaining 5 tablespoons of oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the pecans, pumpkin seeds and roasted squash. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve the salad right away.
Pinot Noir's balance of crisp fruit, light spiciness and moderate tannins makes it very versatileideal with all the big flavors in this salad.