© John Kernick
Fall Harvest Salad
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12 servings
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably peanut
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash (10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens or mesclun
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the squash in an even layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn the squash cubes and cook over moderately low heat until browned on the other side and just tender, about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with the tarragon, parsley and the remaining 5 tablespoons of oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the salad greens with the pecans, pumpkin seeds and roasted squash. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve the salad right away.
Make AheadThe dressing can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours. The cooked squash can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before using in the salad.
Pinot Noir's balance of crisp fruit, light spiciness and moderate tannins makes it very versatileideal with all the big flavors in this salad.