- 1 cup dried peeled fava beans (7 ounces), soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pure olive oil or canola oil, for frying
- Tahini Sauce
- Drain and rinse the favas and chickpeas and put them in a food processor. Add the onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, baking powder, salt, cumin and crushed red pepper. Pulse, scraping down the side of the bowl, to form a coarse paste. Add the water and process until the mixture is gritty but fine and brilliant green. Scrape the paste into a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Scoop rounded tablespoons of the falafel mixture into the hot oil and fry in small batches until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels set over a wire rack and serve hot, with Tahini Sauce.