- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Lauren Chattman, whose six cookbooks include Icebox Pies, specializes in desserts that don't need baking. This jellied espresso, for instance, just requires brewing coffee and melting powdered gelatin in it. Served with whipped cream, it's possibly the most delicious macchiato you'll ever taste.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups hot brewed espresso
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Coarsely ground coffee, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the espresso and 1/4 cup of the sugar and stir until thoroughly dissolved. Pour into four 1/2-cup molds or a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, 2 to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until it holds soft peaks.
- Dip the molds in warm water and turn the desserts out onto plates or cut the gelatin into 1-inch squares and mound in wineglasses or bowls. Garnish each serving with whipped cream and sprinkle with ground coffee.