© Quentin Bacon
Espresso Date Log with Greek Yogurt
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 4 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 12
Sticky, dried dates are supersweet, so Maura Kilpatrick simmers them with espresso to make a thick paste, which she molds and freezes. When she slices the log to serve, she tops it with pistachios and tangy Greek yogurt.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pound Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the espresso powder with the brown sugar and 1 cup of hot water and bring to a simmer. Add the dates and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the dates to a plate to cool. Peel the dates and discard the skins. Coarsely chop the dates, adding 2 tablespoons of their syrup to loosen them slightly. Spoon the date mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a 6-inch log. Roll up the log and twist the ends to seal. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap the log and cut into 12 slices; transfer to plates. Top each slice with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkle with the pistachios and serve.
Make Ahead The date log can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.