Espresso Barbecue Sauce
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
Michael Lomonaco contributes his own twist to this barbecue sauce by using espresso, which adds a jolt of rich flavor. The sauce works well with pork, beef and poultry, complementing and rounding out the flavor of meat.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brewed espresso
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by about half, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely, strain, then puree in a blender until smooth. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make Ahead The Espresso Barbecue Sauce can be refrigerated in a jar for up to 3 months. Serve With Pulled-Pork Tamales.