- 1 cup packed chopped escarole
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole 12-ounce trout, cleaned
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, toss the escarole with the shallot, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Stuff the trout cavities with the escarole and close with skewers. Season the fish with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cornmeal.
In a cast-iron skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil. Add the trout and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the skin is crisp and the fish is just cooked within, 8 minutes. Transfer the trout to a plate. Wipe out the skillet.
Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the trout; turn to coat. Remove from the heat and let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer the trout to plates; serve with lemon wedges.
A zesty, lemony Vermentino.