- 6 ounces pecans, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- One 1 1/2-pound head of escarole—dark green leaves discarded, remaining
leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 5 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples—halved, cored and sliced inch thick
- 1/2 pound Point Reyes or Maytag blue cheese, crumbled (2 1/4 cups)
Preheat the oven to 375° and spread the pecans in a pie plate. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the pecans are lightly browned. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the shallot, mustard and sugar; let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the canola and olive oils and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Add the escarole, celery, apples and toasted pecans to the vinaigrette and toss to coat thoroughly. Season the salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Scatter the crumbled blue cheese on top and serve.