Escarole and Tomato Salad with Shaved Piave Cheese
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Ashley Christensen is reknowned for her simple, excellent salads. Here she tops heirloom tomatoes with shavings of Italian Piave, a nutty-sweet aged cow's milk cheese.
- 2 pounds large heirloom tomatoes—cored, halved lengthwise and thickly sliced into half-moons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds escarole, inner leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups Piave or Asiago cheese shavings
- On a platter, season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of the oil; toss. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of oil and the lemon juice. Add the escarole, season with salt and pepper and toss. Mound the escarole on a platter and top with the tomatoes and any accumulated juices. Scatter the cheese shavings on top and serve.