Escargots in Herbed Cream
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For a more rustic version of this dish, serve the snails with a warm baguette instead of in the puff pastry shells.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 4 frozen puff pastry shells, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 7-ounce cans large snails (about 3 dozen), rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Set the pastry shells on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until puffed and browned. Cut out the scored tops and reserve. Scoop out any unbaked dough and bake the shells for 10 minutes longer. Transfer to a rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley, cilantro, chives and tarragon, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the snails and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the cream and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the snails and their sauce into the puff pastry shells, top with the lids and serve.
A mouth-filling white Burgundy will match the richness of the creamy sauce in this dish.