- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons very finely chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound thin green beans, trimmed
- 3 romaine hearts, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 small head frisée, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups baby arugula (2 ounces)
- 1 Granny Smith apple—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Bosc pear—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 pound Idiazábal or Manchego cheese, coarsely shredded
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, mix the sherry vinegar with the shallot and thyme and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, honey and olive oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the green beans until they are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the green beans under cold running water until they are cool; pat dry. Cut the green beans into 1/2-inch lengths.
In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the romaine hearts, watercress, frisée, arugula, apple, pear, avocado and Idiazábal cheese. Toss the salad with the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Serve the salad at once.
The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.