- 1 jalapeño—stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Zest of 3 limes, finely grated
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying (optional)
- Four 5-inch yellow-corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 3 ounces queso fresco or ricotta salata, crumbled
How to make this recipe
- In a blender or mini-processor, pulse the jalapeño with the lime zest, sherry vinegar, pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt until chopped. Blend in the olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the tortilla strips until crisp and golden, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Alternatively, preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spray liberally with vegetable oil. Sprinkle the strips with salt and bake for 8 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens with the jalapeño vinaigrette. Mound the salad on plates, top with the crumbled cheese and tortilla strips and serve.