© Lucas Allen
Endless Caramel Corn
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 20 cups
Salty, sweet and amazingly crisp, this caramel-coated popcorn gets a hit of spice from the adobo sauce in canned chipotles.
Slideshow: More Make-Ahead Snacks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Lightly coat a large bowl and 2 large rimmed baking sheets with oil. In a large saucepan, combine the 3 tablespoons of oil and the popping corn. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the corn starts to pop. Shake the pan and cook until the corn stops popping, about 5 minutes. Transfer the popcorn to the prepared bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the baking soda with the adobo sauce. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar with the butter, salt and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil over moderate heat without stirring until a golden caramel forms, about 13 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the adobo mixture; the syrup will foam. Immediately drizzle the hot caramel over the popcorn and, using 2 greased spoons, toss to coat. Spread the caramel corn on the prepared baking sheets in an even layer and let cool completely before serving.
Make Ahead The caramel corn can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.