Endless Caramel Corn
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 20 cups
Salty, sweet and amazingly crisp, this caramel-coated popcorn gets a hit of spice from the adobo sauce in canned chipotles.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo)
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Lightly coat a large bowl and 2 large rimmed baking sheets with oil. In a large saucepan, combine the 3 tablespoons of oil and the popping corn. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the corn starts to pop. Shake the pan and cook until the corn stops popping, about 5 minutes. Transfer the popcorn to the prepared bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the baking soda with the adobo sauce. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar with the butter, salt and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil over moderate heat without stirring until a golden caramel forms, about 13 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the adobo mixture; the syrup will foam. Immediately drizzle the hot caramel over the popcorn and, using 2 greased spoons, toss to coat. Spread the caramel corn on the prepared baking sheets in an even layer and let cool completely before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.