Endive and Grapefruit Salad with Smoked Trout
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 ruby grapefruits
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large endives (about 1 1/2 pounds), leaves separated
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound smoked trout fillets, skinned and flaked into 1-inch pieces
- Using a knife, carefully peel the grapefruits; be sure to remove all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the grapefruit sections into the bowl. Transfer the sections to a plate. Squeeze any extra grapefruit juice from the membranes into the bowl and stir in the vinegar and shallot, then whisk in the crème fraîche and oil. Season the grapefruit vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the endives on a large platter. Top with the grapefruit sections, diced avocado and smoked trout and serve, passing the vinaigrette at the table.
The best bet for this salad is a Sauvignon Blanc with herbal and grapefruit hints, such as those from South Africa or New Zealand.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.