Endive-and-Grapefruit Salad with Pistachio Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
This vibrant and refreshing salad gets its great juicy crunch from thinly sliced endives. Chives, parsley and tarragon make the grapefruit flavors even brighter.
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon pistachio oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely crushed pistachios, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 large Ruby Red grapefruit
- 2 Belgian endives—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar with the water and sugar and bring just to a boil. Add the onion and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk both oils with the cider vinegar and mustard. Stir in the 1 tablespoon of crushed pistachios and the chives, then season with salt and pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the skin and bitter white pith from the grapefruit. Cut in between the membranes to release the grapefruit sections into the large bowl. Add the endives, parsley, tarragon and 1/2 cup of the pickled onion and toss well. (Reserve the remaining pickled onion for another use.) Season the salad with salt and pepper. Pile the salad on plates, garnish with crushed pistachios and serve right away.
A light-bodied white such as Grüner Veltliner or Vinho Verde.