Endive and Bacon Salad with Avocado Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 Hass avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 pound applewood-smoked bacon
- 4 thin slices of sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium Belgian endives (1 pound), cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into thin wedges
- In a blender, combine the avocado with the buttermilk, vinegar, shallot, parsley and garlic and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the vegetable oil in a thin stream and process until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat source. In 2 large skillets, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels, then break it into 1-inch pieces. Brush the bread on both sides with the olive oil and broil until toasted, about 45 seconds per side. Cut each slice in half diagonally.
- In a large bowl, toss the endives with 1/4 cup of the chives and the bacon. Add 1/2 cup of the dressing and toss until evenly coated; refrigerate the remaining dressing to use within 3 days. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Arrange the toast on 4 large plates. Mound the salad on top and tuck in the avocado wedges. Sprinkle the salad with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.