- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- Kosher salt
- 2 spring onions or 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 ounces country white bread, crusts removed and bread torn into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. On 2 baking sheets, spread the eggplant in an even layer. Drizzle with 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Roast for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the spring onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions to the eggplant and dot with the butter. Roast for 15 minutes longer, stirring, until the eggplant is tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir the ricotta with the cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart, 2-inch-deep baking dish. Transfer the eggplant and onions to the baking dish. Dollop with the ricotta mixture and scatter the bread on top. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the bread is golden.
The roasted eggplant and onions can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Fragrant, zesty Sicilian white.