- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
The muffuletta is the quintessential New Orleans sandwich of cured meats, cheese and tangy olive salad piled onto a sturdy Italian loaf. Emeril Lagasse's delicious muffuletta is packed with briny olives and pickled vegetables.
- 5 ounces pimento-stuffed olives (1 cup), sliced, plus 2 tablespoons of liquid from the jar
- 6 ounces chopped giardiniera (pickled Italian vegetables) (1 cup), plus 1 tablespoon of liquid from the jar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, plus 2 teaspoons of liquid from the jar
- 3 ounces pitted Calamata olives (1/2 cup), sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large loaf seeded Italian bread (about 1 1/4 pounds), split
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mozzarella
- 6 ounces sliced capocollo or prosciutto
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami
- 1/4 pound sliced mortadella
- 1/4 pound sliced mild provolone cheese
- Peperocini, for serving
- In a medium bowl, stir the pimento-stuffed olives with the giardiniera, capers and their respective liquids. Add the Calamata olives, garlic, shallot, oregano, parsley, thyme and crushed red pepper. Stir in the olive oil and let the mixture stand for 1 hour.
- Open the Italian bread on a work surface. Spoon the olive salad on both sides of the bread and spread evenly. Arrange the mozzarella slices on the bottom half of the bread, then top with the capocollo, Genoa salami and mortadella. Arrange the provolone cheese on the top half of the bread, covering the olive salad completely. Carefully close the sandwich. Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic and let stand for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Cut the sandwich into 8 pieces and serve peperoncini on the side.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.