- 12 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- TO RECONSTITUTE Preheat the oven to 400°. Combine all the ingredients in a large nonreactive saucepan and bring tit a rolling boil over high heat, stirring occasionally with a large wooden spoon. Boil, stirring frequently until the liquid has evaporated and the corn begins to adhere to the pan, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the corn to 2 jelly-roll pans and spread out in an even layer. Set the pans in the oven on the top and middle shelves and bake for 20 minutes. Stir the corn well, switch the pans and bake for 20 minutes longer. Stir again.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake the corn for 40 minutes, stirring and switching at halftime, after 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°. Stir the corn and bake for another 40 minutes, stirring and switching the pans at halftime. The corn should be golden with some browned kernels and should have a nutty aroma. Turn off the oven and leave the corn to dry out overnight.
- The next day, transfer the corn to an airtight container. (The dried corn can be refrigerated for up to 2 months or frozen for up to 6 months.)
- Use 2 cups of water for each cup of corn. In a saucepan, bring the water and corn to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, partially covered, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the corn is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.