© Dana Gallagher
Eli's Golden Apple Turnovers
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes 1 dozen turnovers
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 Gala apples—peeled, cored and quartered
- Two 1-pound sheets of all-butter puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- In a very large, deep skillet, cook the sugar, water, butter and lemon juice over high heat until a pale amber caramel forms, 15 minutes. Add the apples and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until very soft but not falling apart, 30 minutes. Transfer the apples to a large plate and let cool. Pour the caramel into a small bowl; let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry to a 10-by-15-inch rectangle. Cut each sheet into six 5-inch squares. For each turnover, lightly brush the edge of a pastry square with water. Place 2 cooled apple quarters in the middle and spoon a scant 1 tablespoon of the caramel on top. Fold the pastry over to form triangles and press the edges to seal. Transfer to the baking sheets.
- Brush the turnovers with water and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place the baking sheets in the oven and lower the temperature to 325°. Bake the turnovers for about 35 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let cool before serving.