E.J.'s Vegetable Noodle Soup
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News In this nutrient-rich soup, the vegetables are cut very small and the flavors are simple. "It's one of the first dishes I cooked for E.J. and Meril," says Emeril Lagasse. "It's great for young kids."
- 2 small onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup alphabet pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 8 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, water and bay leaf and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the pasta and simmer until tender, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the peas and chives. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
NotesOne Serving 248 cal, 9 gm fat, 1.7 gm sat fat, 34 gm carb, 4.8 gm fiber.