- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups red lentils (14 ounces)
- Plain yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita, for serving
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander and chile powder and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook just until softened, 2 minutes. Add the lentils and 8 cups of water and season with salt. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are very soft, 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup. Season with salt and serve with yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita.
Contributed By Photo © Petrina Tinslay Published February 2012