Eggs with Spicy Onion Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
This main dish is called egg roast in Kerala, where the term "roast" describes a process in which food, typically some type of fowl, is cooked, whole or in large pieces, in a covered pan.
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground in a spice mill or mortar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 1 dried red chile
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 extra-large eggs, hard-cooked and peeled
- In a bowl, combine the coriander, fennel, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom with 1/3 cup of water to make a paste.
- In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over moderately high heat and add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the curry leaves and dried red chile and cover. After most of the seeds have popped, uncover, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the spice paste and salt and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if the pan is dry. Add the tomatoes and 3/4 cup of water and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft and the sauce is thick. Add the coconut milk and eggs, spooning the sauce over the eggs. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until the eggs are heated through. Serve at once.
The mild heat that the mustard and chiles give to this egg dish needs a not-quite-dry white for contrast. Try Chenin Blancbased wines from France.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.