- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound white or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of whole-grain toast
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in the butter and mushrooms. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are softened and a lot of liquid is released, 7 minutes. Uncover and add the soy sauce and red wine and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat four 1-cup ramekins or small gratin dishes with oil. Transfer the mushrooms and spinach to the ramekins and crack an egg on top of each. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the white is barely set and the yolks are runny. Let stand for 2 minutes; serve with the toasts.
The earthy mushrooms and spinach make this dish great with a fruity Gamay from France's Beaujolais region.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.