Eggplant, Tomato and Fresh Ricotta Farfalle
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 medium eggplant (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 3/4 pound farfalle
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 pint red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- In a colander, toss the eggplant with 1 teaspoon of salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the farfalle until just al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the eggplant and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper and a pinch of black pepper. Cook, crushing the tomatoes, about 3 minutes. Add the farfalle, the reserved cooking water and the eggplant and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the pasta is heated through, 3 minutes; season with salt. Transfer to bowls and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Top with the ricotta and basil and pass extra Parmesan at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.