Eggplant Salad with Cumin and Fresh Herbs
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
As Nadia Roden was growing up, her mother prepared eggplants in so many waysfrying them, roasting them, stuffing them. This salad is one of Nadia's favorites.
- Two 1-pound eggplants
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Assorted olives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Put the eggplants on a large rimmed baking sheet and prick them in a few places with a knife. Bake in the upper third of the oven for about 1 hour, or until blackened and soft. Scoop the flesh out of the skins, discard most of the seeds and finely chop the flesh. Drain in a colander, pressing lightly to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the tomatoes, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and saucy, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplants, tomato sauce, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, cumin, paprika and cayenne and season with salt. Spread the eggplant salad on a large serving plate. Scatter the olives on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.