Eggplant Risotto with Tomatoes and Basil
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled ricotta salata (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup julienned basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, season with salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add all but 1/4 cup of the chopped tomatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until thoroughly coated, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the hot chicken stock and cook, stirring, until the stock is nearly absorbed, about 3 minutes. Continue adding the hot stock 1 cup at a time and stirring until it is absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a creamy liquid, about 25 minutes total.
- Remove the risotto from the heat. Stir in the butter, then stir in the ricotta salata and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses. Stir in the eggplant and basil along with the remaining 1/4 cup of tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to bowls. Serve right away.
Sicily, though warm during the day, can be cool at night, and its best white wines reflect the temperature change in their zesty acidityexactly what's needed for this creamy risotto. Try a wine made from Grillo, a native Sicilian grape, or a blend of the local grapes Ansonica and Catarratto.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.