- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium shallot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large plum tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until the eggplant is tender and browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the garlic, shallot and celery and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the shallot is softened, 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato mixture to the eggplant along with the olives, basil, lemon juice and fennel seeds. Stir gently. Season the relish with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.