- 3 Asian eggplants (1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound lean bacon—2 ounces cut into 1/2 -inch-thick lardons, 6 ounces thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Gewürztraminer
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil stems, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green apple
- 1 whole clove
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg white
- Light a grill. Score the cut sides of the eggplants in a crosshatch pattern, slicing down to the skin but not through it. Brush the eggplants generously with olive oil and season them with salt. Grill the eggplants over high heat, turning once, until they are charred and soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer the eggplants to a baking sheet and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon lardons over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the lardons to paper towels. Discard the fat and wipe out the pan.
- In the same saucepan, combine the sliced bacon, wine, vinegar, basil stems, apple and clove and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the sauce into a small saucepan. Stir in the 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and season the sauce with salt. Keep warm.
- Scoop the eggplant flesh into a medium bowl, leaving some of it in small chunks. Stir in the mint and season with salt.
- Set out 4 wonton wrappers on a work surface. Moisten the edges with egg white and place a rounded teaspoon of the eggplant filling on each wrapper. Fold the wontons into triangles and press to seal, releasing all of the air. Repeat with the remaining wontons and filling.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the ravioli and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to bowls. Drizzle the dressing on top. Garnish with the crisp bacon and chopped basil and serve.
Alsace Gewürztraminer, a spicy, lychee-scented grape variety, helps define the sauce for these delicate ravioli.