© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Eggplant Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Add these flavorful grilled eggplants to make a great vegetarian grilled cheese sandwich.
Slideshow: Fantastic Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1/2 pound Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch planks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bread
- 6 ounces aged cheddar, sliced
- Pickles, mustard, thinly sliced onions, balsamic vinegar, tomatoes (optional condiments)
- In a large bowl mix together the vegetable oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss the eggplant in the marinade.
- Heat the grill, and when hot, brush the grill with oil. Place the eggplant directly on the grill, grilling both sides for 3-5 minutes each. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Brush the outer sides of bread with oil and then assemble the sandwiches with the grilled eggplant, cheese and any desired additional condiments.
- Place the sandwiches on the grill, weighed down with a skillet or grill weights. Grill each side until golden.