- SERVINGS: 8
Fany Boutari adds a little mayonnaise to the traditional melitzanosalataa blend of roasted eggplant, olive oil and lemon juicemaking the dip unusually creamy.
- 2 large eggplants (3 pounds total)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pita bread, cut into triangles
- Preheat the oven to 475°. Prick the eggplants all over with a fork and set them on a large baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the eggplants are charred and very soft. Let cool slightly, then peel. Coarsely chop the eggplant pulp, transfer it to a strainer set over a bowl and let drain for 30 minutes; press to release any remaining liquid.
- Finely chop the eggplant and transfer it to a bowl. Add the onion and garlic, then gradually stir in the oil and lemon juice until incorporated. Stir in the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita.
Look for a Greek Santorini.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.