- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely grated on a box grater
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce, such as marinara or canned tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
How to make this recipe
Set the diced eggplant in a steamer basket. Set the basket over 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and steam the eggplant until tender, 12 minutes; drain well.
In a large skillet, combine the tomatoes with the garlic, cumin and paprika and simmer over moderate heat until thickened, 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and the eggplant and simmer, gently stirring a few times, until the eggplant is flavored with the sauce, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper; add the lemon zest, cilantro and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The compote can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
One Serving 39 cal, 0 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 9 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 2 gm protein.